Saturday, December 31, 2011

Buckhorn Island State Park - New York State

When I started writing Dundas Valley and Beyond, I included the “and Beyond” part to include those inevitable opportunities I would have to explore beautiful areas beyond the Dundas Valley and greater Hamilton area.

This week was one of those opportunities. Taking advantage of a few vacation days between Christmas and New Years, my family and I headed to Grand Island, New York for a few days of relaxation and shopping. Always looking for opportunities to hike, I discovered that Buckhorn Island State Park was only minutes from our hotel and made sure that an early morning hike into the park was part of the trip. Grand Island is an interesting place. At seven and a half miles long by six miles at its widest point, it is surprisingly small and yet it is one of the largest freshwater islands in the world.
Located at the southernmost point on the island, Buckhorn Island State Park and Wildlife Sanctuary consists of 895 acres of marsh, meadows and woods and the last vestige of the vast marshlands and meadows that once bordered the Niagara River. The public is welcome to hike the nature trails as well as bike, kayak, canoe, fish and cross-country ski in the park. Ongoing restoration continues to re-establish wetland cover and water levels and increase the diversity of native flora and fauna. The ongoing restoration plan includes increasing public access with more non-intrusive trails, overlooks and bird watching blinds.
Waking early, I was greeted by icy conditions and a light snow flurry. Heading into the park, it seemed like I had the entire area to myself and it was incredibly peaceful walking the snow covered trails that followed the Niagara River. This area was officially designated an Important Bird Area in December, 1996. Nineteen species of gulls have been found here, representing almost half of the world’s 45 species. The area is also on the migration route for 25 species of waterfowl. Many even overwinter along the river. The most numerous gulls found here are Bonaparte’s gull, ring-billed gull, and herring gull. The most common waterfowl to be found are greater scaup, common mergansers, and canvasbacks.


















Walking the trails, I noticed that a high volume of trees were covered by climbing and interwoven clinging vines. It gave the forest an eerie “movie like” feel, particularly enhanced by the quietly falling snow. Along the water’s edge, icicles were forming on the low hanging branches.
I was impressed with the many features of the park which included kayak launching areas and lookout platforms, ideal spots for bird watching.




Heading back to meet my family for breakfast, and with the ever present sound of migrating geese in the air, I felt a sense of gratitude for the year that was 2011. I am looking forward to an exciting 2012 and I hope you are too.
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and please accept my sincere wishes for a happy and healthy 2012!


Cam

No comments:

Post a Comment