Sunday, February 5, 2012

What a Winter!! February 4th and 5th, 2012

Although I typically write my blog update each Saturday, I was inspired to write an extra post this weekend due to the unseasonably warm February weekend we just had. Unbelievable!
I don’t recall ever seeing a Canadian winter like this in my lifetime, sunny days with almost no snow to mention.
I took full advantage this weekend and figured the time was right to re-visit a few of my favorite trails. Saturday morning I headed up to the Crooks Hollow area with my son John and visited the Darnley Mill and the Darnley Cascade. With no ice in the water and the shoreline plants giving off a red colour, it felt like a fall day. Although the trail turned muddy as it bordered Christie Lake it was great to get out and explore. Leaving there we walked the trail that borders the Crook’s Hollow March and watched hundreds of Canadian geese in the water and surrounding marshland. We also discovered a small waterfall that drained into it. It was hidden between large cedars but was a pretty cool discovery.

Waking Sunday morning, slightly groggy from a late night gig with my band and noticing that we had been blessed with another stunning day, I headed out again, this time with my daughter Julia for some more exploring. We headed to Great Falls, stopping to enjoy the view and then followed the Bruce Trail down into the hollow, following Grindstone Creek as it rushes over the rocks and into the valley below. The rocks in this area are covered with a lot of moss which tends to give the water a greenish colour. This is a trail that I just discovered this winter and I can’t wait to return in the summer when all the tree’s are in full bloom.
I hope you were able to take full advantage of this great weekend as well!

Don't forget, we also have a page on Facebook. Please visit and “LIKE” us!https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dundas-Valley-and-Beyond/120774278042380
Visit our page for photos as well as current information on trail conditions and events. Come join the conversation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment