Friday, March 16, 2012

Hiking from Little Davis Falls to Felker’s Falls

Inspired by some of the photos I had seen recently on the Hamilton City of Waterfalls Facebook page, I decided to venture out with the goal of hiking the area between Little Davis Falls and Felker’s Falls. Both of these are waterfalls that I had never seen before so I was pleased to wake up to a sunny morning on what promised to be a perfect March morning for exploring.

Parking at the extreme south end of Quigley Road in Hamilton, I started up the trail and almost immediately could hear the unmistakable sound of a waterfall. The trail made a sharp turn to the right and minutes later I was standing on the crest watching the waters of Davis Creek as it tumbled over the rocks. This waterfall is extremely picturesque and although very close to a residential neighborhood, appears very unspoiled. It is 3 metres (10 feet) tall with a crest width of 5.5 metres (18 feet), and is considered to be a Twin Curtain Falls.The moss covered rock formations and assorted felled trees in the area make for an interesting landscape and I spent some time here, just enjoying the solitude and the view.

From here I backtracked slightly and headed up the trail that borders the creek on its east side and heads into the valley towards Felker’s Falls. The trail followed the creek and as we went further into the valley, became less of a trail until finally I just picked my way over the rocks in the direction of Felker's Falls. Interestingly, the further into the valley I went, the cooler it got and although when I entered the trial there was no sign of snow, here the trail was fully covered. I made my way around one more bend, this time walking through a shallow part of the creek and there it was, directly ahead. Felker's Falls is beautiful and at 22 metres (72 feet) high with a crest width of 6 metres (20 feet) is pretty impressive. Equally impressive is the rock walls that surround the falls. You can clearly see all the different layers and colours of rock that make up the escarpment and on this day the presence of ice made it that much more interesting.

This hike, although not long is moderately challenging, at least this time of year. Sturdy waterproof boots are a must. Hiking from Davis Falls to Felker’s Falls has definitely been added to my growing list of new destinations to re-visit in the summer.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous pictures along with great details about your hike in Felkers and Little Davis Falls. Great info here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback. Greatly appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete