Friday, April 6, 2012

Spencer Gorge Day 2- Lower Tews Falls and Tews Falls

After last week’s hike, which you may recall I referred to as “my favorite hiking trail in the Dundas Valley”, I decided to further explore this area by following Spencer Creek, this time on the east bank and try to find my way to the base of Tews Falls.

Similar to last week I parked on Woodley Lane, by the Dundas Golf and Curling Club and followed the railway service entrance along the north side of the CN railway tracks continuing in an easterly direction towards Spencer Creek.


Again, I must remind you that walking in the vicinity of railway tracks always carries with it some risks. Although there is plenty of space and it is easy to maintain a safe distance, care should be taken regardless.
On this morning there seemed to be a lot of bird activity with a number of vultures lazily circling overhead and a group of robins darting in and out of the sumac trees that border the forest.


I passed the entrance into the valley that I took the prior week, this time continuing until I was on the eastern side of Spencer Creek before turning into the trees.
Within seconds the train tracks were behind me and I was engulfed in the beauty of the Spencer Gorge Wilderness Area. The trail towards the falls is noted by white marks on some of the trees and as I traveled down this trail I had the swirling waters of Spencer creek below me and the rocky walls of the gorge above me.



At the tee in the trail I headed downwards towards Lower Tews Falls. This is a waterfall I have only seen from a distance from the other side of Spencer Creek. Lower Tews Falls is created near where Logie's Creek empties into Spencer Creek and is a twin curtain falls measuring 3.7 metres (12 feet) in height and 6.7 metres (22 feet) in width. Visiting this waterfall is a treat because there is some difficulty and effort required to get here and as a result is visited very infrequently. There is a very remote feel to this location and I stayed awhile taking photos from different angles. Leaving here, I continued upstream, eventually rounding a bend and seeing Tews Falls ahead of me. The view from this angle was amazing. This is a waterfall that is commonly viewed from the trails at the top of the canyon and to approach it from the bottom was something that I had wanted to do for some time. At 134 feet tall (41 metres), it is the highest waterfall in the Hamilton area and is only 40 feet shorter than Niagara Falls. Approaching it from downstream you can really appreciate just how tall it is and I spent quite a bit of time here, just enjoying everything around me.
On the hike out, I stopped to look at Ferguson Falls which unfortunately was almost completely dry due to the lack of winter runoff. This is one I need to come back for, perhaps after a good rain. While sitting and enjoying a drink of water here I noticed this salamander that was in the rocks and damp earth near the base of these falls.
Walking the rail line back out, I turned back to admire the Dundas Peak above me, making a mental note to add that to my list of forthcoming hiking destinations.Happy Easter to you and yours!


Don't forget, we’re also on Facebook. Please visit and “LIKE” us! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dundas-Valley-and-beyond/120774278042380
Visit our page for photos as well as current information on trail conditions and events. Help spread the word!!

1 comment:

  1. Great detailed directions to Tews! Definitely looking forward to the hike in. I love the pictures! The robin photo is amazing!

    ReplyDelete