Friday, July 6, 2012

Crooks Hollow Conservation Area

In years past, I always enjoyed visiting and hiking the trails of Crooks Hollow Conservation Area and particularly enjoyed the area around the dam. When I learned that the dam required extensive repair and as a result was to be destroyed, I admit that I was in the camp of those that favoured repair over demolition.
After reading a recent article by Richard Leitner in the Dundas Star Journal announcing that the work in this area was near completion and the trails re-opened, I had to see for myself. I am pleased to say that I am thrilled by the result. The creek now meanders much as it would have before the dam was built and the new surrounding marshland, although still new looking is already establishing itself well.
On my visit I observed a large volume of songbirds as well as footprints in the soft clay belonging to a variety of mammals. The tadpoles have returned and there is every indication that the entire area will soon be teeming with wildlife.
 New features to the area include a rustic steel walkway across Spencer Creek to connect trails on both sides, a small waterfall fed by an artesian well in the escarpment face that was discovered during the work, and additional wetland creation.
What I particularly like is that they left both ends of the dam in place, adding guard rails and repurposing them as lookout platforms. From here you can take in the expanse of this newly created oasis.

According to the story, Cultural and heritage features, interpretive signage and an official reopening are currently being planned.
All in all, a job well done. Be sure to plan a visit to Crooks Hollow Conservation Area in the near future. You will be glad you did.

I always appreciate new and return visitors to my face Book page. If you have a chance, check it out! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dundas-Valley-and-beyond/120774278042380
Thanks for the ongoing support and dialogue.

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear that it's re-opened! We haven't visited for about two years and were thinking of a hike through the area. Last time we were there it was fall-time (gorgeous foliage). It is a beautiful spot for photographers and hikers alike.

    ReplyDelete