Saturday, November 24, 2012

Christie Wildlife Area

The morning fog was just starting to lift as Rosie and I headed down the trail at the Christie Wildlife area. I had found this spot completely by accident, driving north on Middletown Road just north of Regional Road 8. Fortunately, I had spotted the small parking lot on the left side of the road and now as luck would have it, we were exploring a new trail.

This beautiful marsh area feeds into Christie Lake and features a relatively short and mostly flat perimeter trail that follows the shoreline of the marsh. I can imagine that this area is teeming with wildlife during the spring and summer months but with it now being mid November it was quiet with the exception of some song birds and a few groups of ducks, mostly mallards occupying the water.

Exploring the trails, we walked through stands of cedar and pine transitioning into maple and other deciduous trees on the western shoreline. The trail was mostly grass covered and well marked and features a bridge where the trail begins the returning portion.

You can see by my GPS that I made one small error requiring me to backtrack when I realized I was off course but other than that the walk was enjoyable and quiet.

Returning, I made a mental note to definitely plan on a returning as I would love to see the landscape during the winter, spring and summer seasons as well.

Don’t forget, for more photos and hiking information, you can visit my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dundas-Valley-and-beyond/120774278042380

Thanks for visiting!!

4 comments:

  1. We love this area because its a bit out of the way and not as heavily visited. Last time we were at this spot it was late fall and an overcast day. Pretty cool spot for photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this trail with us, I'm always looking for new places to discover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I am looking forward to doing some further hiking there. There was a trail that started across the road heading towards Christie Lake that I have yet to check out and I imagine there are also a number of other neat spots that I havent yet found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I have been on that one before it's a loop around the lake, plus many others. I started in Crooks Hollow when I did it.

    ReplyDelete