Friday, September 21, 2012

Crooks Hollow Conservation Area Revisited

The only disappointment I experienced last weekend revisiting Crooks Hollow was realizing when I got there that I had neglected to put a memory card in my camera meaning I would have to rely on my iPhone for any photos taken.
I last visited this area back in July and you can see my blog post on that visit in the archives from July 14, 2012. At that time I had been impressed with the work that had been done in removing the dam and re-naturalizing the area. Now, a short time later, I am happy to report that it looks even better. The marshland is well along in establishing itself and the area is teeming with songbirds and butterflies.

On this day, I walked first from the parking lot, along the creek to the observation bridge and then returned the same way enjoying the dragonflies and birds along the trail.
With the day being so nice, I decided to continue in a westerly direction along the Crooks Hollow trail as it meets the road and then links up with the historical Darnley Mill ruin. Turning in along the entrance there I followed the trail stopping to enjoy the somewhat drier than usual Darnley Cascade, then crossing the Christie Lake Dam and following the shoreline of the lake. I stopped to admire this snake that was sunning himself in the trail and then continued a short distance before returning.
I have to say that I really enjoy this area and left making a mental note that I would like to return in the near future and hike the entire perimeter of Christie Lake, something I have not tried in the past. Stay posted for more detail and hopefully some better quality photos.
I always appreciate new visitors to my face Book page. If you have a chance, check it out! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dundas-Valley-and-beyond/120774278042380
Thanks for the ongoing support and dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment