Saturday, September 8, 2012

Spring Creek – Sawmill Trail Loop

Last Saturday morning I was looking to hit a trail both as a cardio workout as well as to test out a new pedometer app that I had added to my phone. Staying close to home, I decided that I would hike the Spring Creek Trail to the Trail Centre and then return a different way, creating sort of a loop. This turned out to be a good idea both from a workout standpoint as well as an opportunity to enjoy some beautiful parts of the Dundas Valley.

You can start this hike at the end of Bridlewood Drive in Dundas, entering the valley on the well marked trail and heading west. The Spring Creek trail like the name insinuates, follows the meandering Spring Creek and runs roughly parallel to the Hamilton to Brantford Rail Trail. You pass a pond that I often stop at to watch frogs and birds and pass through hilly Carolinian forest.

This is a great spot to observe deer particularly if you hike in the early morning or late afternoon. On this day I was able to get within about 15 feet of a pair of them as they grazed and even with Rosie at my side they did not seem particularly concerned with my presence.

Stopping at the Trail Centre for some water we started heading back in the direction we came, but veering left when we got to the marker for the Sawmill Trail. This trail takes you through milkweed filled meadows interspersed with black walnut trees and then directs you deeper into the valley.

The key is to stay to your right as side trails branch off at various points. It was noticeably cooler as we walked along the creek edge and I enjoyed how complete the silence was; only broken by the song of the various finches and chickadees that flitted in and out of the sumac trees.

This trail ends at the John White Trail. Turning right and crossing a wooden foot bridge, you soon arrive back on the Spring Creek Trail. Head east and you will arrive back at the starting point in about 15 minutes. Other than my pedometer app stopping at some point likely due to being in a low area with no cell service, this was a very enjoyable walk. At about 3 miles, it took me just over an hour but that included stopping to take photos and letting Rosie play in the water.


For more pics and info, visit my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dundas-Valley-and-beyond/120774278042380 Happy hiking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment